Kathryn is 80!

One of my grandmothers, Kathryn, turned 80 years old on November 2.  Her daughters, Lisa and Donna, decided to throw her a surprise birthday party.  To say that Kathryn was surprised is an understatement.  She was absolutely shocked.  Honestly, I'm glad she didn't fall over and have a heart attack when she arrived to the party!  She had no clue she was going to a party to celebrate her 80 years.  She is one of the kindest people I know and she loves people by joyfully and selflessly serving others.  She has taken care of her parents, many aunts and uncles, and so many others in need.  She deeply loves her children - all of them.  She has two daughters, three granddaughters, two great granddaughters, and four great grandsons.  We all love her so much too and it was wonderful to get together to celebrate with her family and friends. 
 
I have to share one of my favorite Kathryn memories.  Kathryn and Odell came and lived with us for a few months when I was in high school.  They had sold their house and they were building a new one and they lived with us in the meantime.  Back in high school, I was not a morning person (wait... let's be honest... I'm still not a morning person and Ray can attest to that).  But back in high school it was a battle to get me out of bed in the morning.  Typically, I would wait until my dad had yelled at me at least five times and then I would finally fall out of bed, stumble down the stairs, zombie-walk to the barn to feed the horses and put them in the pasture, run back to the house, change clothes, and then run back out the door to get to school just in time.  Mornings were hectic.  But something changed when Kathryn moved to the bedroom next door.  I guess my dad or Lisa told Kathryn to get me up one morning, because Kathryn gently knocked on my bedroom door, cracked it open, and with the most gentle voice, said, "Jessica, Honey, it's time to get up."  It was the kindest thing I'd ever heard.  And with that smooth voice came the smell of warm grits, bacon, and toast.  I couldn't help but blink hard, stretch, and get right out of bed.  I walked down the stairs, sat at the bar, and ate the best toast I've ever had.  That toast was made with love.  I know it was really just toast with butter and strawberry jelly, but when she made it, she put her love in it.  And it was so sweet and satisfying.  I'm a southern girl, so I love girts, but these grits were different - they had love (and a lot of butter) in them and they warmed my soul.  And then she had cooked bacon for me.  Need I say more?  I don't want to make it sound like my parents never cooked for me - because they always gave me the opportunity to have a good, warm breakfast.  But when Kathryn made a simple breakfast for me that morning and beckoned me out of the bedroom with her kind call and filling food, I saw a glimpse of her heart and how she deeply loved and cared for me.  She is so wonderful and she still cooks amazing food for me and has the kindest voice and assuring words.  Although she is not my grandmother by blood, our hearts are connected and as far as I'm concerned she is my grandmother. 
 
Kathryn hugging Lisa and James when she first arrived-
 Donna and Lisa hosted the party and tried to bring as many things from 1933 and the 1930s as possible-
The food was wonderful and the flowers were beautiful-
What a great party and a fantastic lady - Just being in her prescience makes your heart feel warm, loved, and accepted- 
Kathryn as a toddler-
Kathryn, we love you so much! 

Comments

Popular Posts