Lactation Bars Recipe

My doula, Sarah Carter, gave me the best lactation bars recipe and I wanted to share.  The bars have several ingredients to help increase milk production in breastfeeding moms, but they are also a healthy sweet treat that's packed with good stuff and delicious for anyone.  They are perfect for hormonal moms with newborns who are trying to be healthy but just need something sweet at times.  I have a few in my fridge and I have one or two squares a day.  They curb my cravings for other indulgences like ice cream, brownies, or cookies. 

Here's the recipe:
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1-1.5 teaspoons brewers yeast (too much can make them bitter)
1 cup oats
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup nut butter (I use peanut butter)
1 scant cup dates (I use raisins because I can't overcome the cockroach appearance of dates)
splash of vanilla
1 tablespoon sweetened cocoa
1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
pinch of salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Blend everything except chocolate chips in a food processor.  Coconut oil will melt during the process and firm up again when chilled.  Stir in chocolate chips and press into a pan lined with parchment paper.  Chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours and then cut into bars or squares with a sharp knife.  Keep chilled.
Make some and take them to a new mom!  Or make some for yourself and enjoy.  I'm pretty sure I'll still make these even when my breastfeeding days are over :)

Comments

Popular Posts