Snow Day


The snow here makes all plans pause.  No school.  No work (for some, anyway).  No church.  I love this pause in January or February.  The white blanket hushes activity.  People don’t go places unless they must and I think that this is a good thing.  

The snow in North Carolina always makes people do strange things – Everyone knows that.  True North Carolinians know that they must go to the store to buy bread and milk when there is the slightest inkling that there may be a flurry in the near future.  Why do we need bread and milk?  Personally, I would rather have water than milk and I’m not sure why we should stick with bread.  I would much rather have dried fruit, nuts, or granola bars if I had to be without power for days.

As a child, I was in awe of The Weather Channel.  Jim Cantore was my hero (especially in hurricane season).  When a snow storm was in the forecast, however, I always made sure to keep my eyes on the local news because they send out their reporters to examine all parts of the roads.  This is especially important for students and teachers because we all want to know the all important question – Will this storm lead to a cancellation of school?  

Some of my fondest memories as a child were snow storms.  Before the storms, I remember staying up late watching the TV.  I hoped and prayed that the green color on the radar would change to pink and hopefully blue to indicate snow falling.  I would anxiously read the cancellations at the bottom of the screen.  I waited for the Es, then the Fs, then finally the Gs.  I so wanted to read “Guilford County Schools – Closed.”  

When school was actually cancelled, all the neighborhood kids got together and we played in the snow.  I remember once when we all piled on a large blue tarp.  My neighbor’s dad then connected that to his 4-wheeler and drug us around the neighborhood on the roads packed with snow and covered with ice.  Many times we went to another neighbor’s house because they had a backyard that was basically a very steep hill.  We would run and then sled down the hill.  The only problem was that there was a creek at the bottom of the hill.  I think that everyone found themselves in that creek at one time or another.  Another year I rode my horse in the snow.  She did not quite know how to handle the snow because the mare was as unaccustomed to the slick stuff as most southerners.  

I look at my new son lying on his daddy’s chest as it snows and I wonder what his snow days will be like.  I wonder what memories will be made.  I am sure that the two of them will build something made of snow in the front yard.  Ray is too creative in his building for it to be a snowman – it will be something different.  I bet that James will sled down the hill in our backyard.  I imagine all of us taking walks through the woods in the snow.  I want to see the magic of this gift of winter take over James’s eyes like it did – and still does – take over mine.  

Ray had to work this snow day though, so it was just James and me to entertain ourselves at home.  Our day began watching the local news because I'm still a little obsessed with the news reporters who give me detailed accounts of the road conditions.  Later, I dressed James in his snowman PJs and we went outside to take pictures and go for a walk in the neighborhood.  He's not quite ready for sledding yet.

When Ray got home, we were able to take some pictures of us with him.  Now I know why people say that James looks like Ray -

With mom -

James Franklin -

Earlier in the day - 
Our house -
The backyard -
Pretty Streets -
When I cam back inside after our walk, I realized that people must have wondered what was wrong with me.  I looked huge - kind of like the Michelin Man in black.  
And then I realized that they probably just thought that I was pregnant.  One thing was certain - James was super snug and warm inside the wrap and that jacket.  Here is what he's looking like these days in the wrap - He's knocked out as usual when he's in it.
I hope that everyone is taking time to be still - to relax - and enjoy the snow. 

Comments

  1. James is growing so much! He is adorable! Love the pics of you all in the snow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts