An Uneventful Weekend

After months of consecutive weekends that were full of friends and family, we finally had a weekend with just the three of us. Ahhhh... It was nice.  We didn't go anywhere special or do anything out of the ordinary... we just chilled around the house.

On Saturday, Ray let me sleep in a little bit and he played with James and fed him breakfast.  I got up to put James down for his morning nap and Ray and I made a list of home improvement plans for this year while he was napping.  We looked on Pinterest and in Houzz (a wonderful app for interior design plans).  Some things we want to do in and around the house this year:
- Put a little cubby/organizer in the kitchen
- Install recess lighting in the living room
- Paint the master bedroom and bathroom
- Build and install cabinets to go over the toilets in both bathrroms
- Paint hallway
- Build a lean-to outside 
- Install gas logs in one of the fireplaces (maybe)
- Buy and install new sinks/vanities in the bathrooms (maybe)  
After having this conversation, naturally, we headed to Lowe's.  I love that store.  It's ironic because as a child, my dad would drag me to the hardware store and I hated every second of it.  I though that place was some type of torture institution where dads took their daughters when they misbehaved.  Anyway... I love it now and thankfully James is too young to have an opinion of the store.  He just knows he's on Ray's back as we walk through the store and he's content to look around and be with dad.  

Once we got home, it was nap time for James, and Ray joined James in taking a nap.  Once they woke up, I went on a cleaning frenzy.  Ray played with James and I started cleaning - I mean really cleaning.  I attacked the bathrooms, baseboards, and scrubbed the hardwoods on my hands and knees in our bedroom, James's bedroom, and the hall.  I have been making my own cleaning products with vinegar, water, and doTerra essential oils and they smell amazing and work so well.  It makes me want to clean!  As I continued cleaning, Ray cooked dinner.  He cooked New York Strips, roasted potatoes, and steamed broccoli and carrots.  James got a little cranky about halfway through the cooking, but I was busy cleaning the floor and Ray was busy cooking, so he just threw James on his back in the Boba and kept on cooking.  I love babywearing and I love that my husband loves babywearing too.

We ate dinner and it was so good!  Ray can cook a good steak.  James approved of the steak, but he didn't touch the potatoes or veggies.  This is oh so typical.  The child loves his meat and will not eat any veggies.  It breaks my heart that he's just like his daddy in this way.  

After dinner, James went to sleep and we just relaxed and did some reading.  It's so nice that he's always gone to bed by 7:00/7:15... Ray and I have always had some great quality time while James is sleeping and it has been such a blessing for him to go to bed early.

On Sunday, we all slept in later than usual.  I'm pretty sure James slept in because he woke up 5 or 6 times last night (I think it's a growth spurt) and because of that, we certainly didn't have an alarm set.  Typically, he only wakes up 2 times at night, but I guess he had a rough night last night.  Because he slept in, his morning schedule was off and we didn't make it to church.  We really wanted to go because they are doing a great series at church on fear, but it just didn't happen this morning.  We will be sure to watch it online though.  

Once James woke up from his nap, I talked Ray into going out to eat Thai for lunch.  We love Thai and James loves it too.  He likes curries and he loves tofu.  I'm going to have to find some recipes with tofu so I can make some at home.  After eating out, we went to Costco.  We love shopping at Costco.  We seriously go there as much for groceries as entertainment.  We probably need to get a life!  

When we got back home, we attacked the guest bedroom.  This room has been a graveyard for Christmas decorations and baby gear that James has outgrown.  We put most of the baby gear in huge Ziplock bags (that we bought at Costco!) and took several trips to the attic.  Now the back bedroom resembles a guest room again and I feel much better about life. 

We all took a nap this afternoon when James napped.  Sunday afternoon naps are awesome.  When he woke up, we went on a walk in the neighborhood.  It was great to finally have a day when the high was above 40 degrees.  

When we got home, we had BLT sandwiches for dinner.  We almost always give James whatever we eat (and he either eats it or he doesn't) and while he loves bacon, I gave him steak, broccoli, and carrots leftover from last night.  He ate some of the steak and held the broccoli in his hands looking at it.  We guided his hand to his mouth and he opened his mouth, but right when the healthy little tree reached his sensitive palate, he rejected it with a quick thrust of the tongue and the poor piece of broccoli was banished to the bib.  He was content to leave the table with a few bites of steak and nothing more.

After Ray gave James his bath and we dressed him for bed, I put him down and he's happily sleeping.  Let's hope that the little man sleeps better tonight than he did last night.  Right now Ray and I are enjoying the Pro Bowl.  While I'm excited that the Super Bowl is next week, I'm sad that the NFL season is coming to an end.  

Well... that's what we did this weekend!  My little ramblings.  I feel like I often capture the big moments on my blog, but I forget the small, everyday stuff.  I just love my simple, little, family :) 

Here was James after he woke up from his morning nap earlier today-



Comments

Popular Posts