Christmas


The holidays were busy this year - full of family and fun Christmas activities.  We loved every minute of it!  We were fully able to embrace and enjoy the season this year since James was a little older.  Since he was only two weeks old at Christmas last year, I don't remember much - it was all a little foggy and blurry.  But this year was different and I tried to snap a few pictures on my phone at most of our gatherings of the holidays-


The weekend before Christmas, we went to Aunt Kim's house for the annual cookie decorating event.  Last year, we didn't do this until January (see that post here) because we waited for Ray's brother and his wife to join us, but since they spent the holidays together on the west coast this year, we did it in December.  We missed you guys! 
In honor of the Panthers winning earlier that day, I had to make Newton and Williams cookies.  Forget Gingerbread men - I made Panthermen :)
Then, on Christmas Eve, we were back at Kim's house for Pepperoni Rolls (a Wood family tradition).  The family made the rolls early in the afternoon.  We missed the making of the rolls part because we were at home while James was napping.  After the rolls were made, the family went to the Christmas Eve service at Westover.  I really enjoyed the service this year - Pastor Don shared how the angel appeared to the shepherds - typical, ordinary, shepherds - to tell them that Jesus, the Savior, came for them.  It was a wonderful reminder that Jesus came for me - for us - not just so that we would get together and remember the birth of a baby several hundred years ago, exchange gifts, get excited about all things peppermint, and look at a Christmas tree.  But the angel came to the shepherds to tell them - to tell us today - that Jesus came to save us.  I needed that message so that I could refocus my attention to remember why we really celebrate. 
He loves riding on his daddy's shoulders

On Christmas Day, we spent time at our house in the morning, just the three of us.  It was nice to just have some down time that morning.  We gave James his gifts.  We gave him several new board books and a few cars.  We wanted to keep it simple and he was also given so many great toys, clothes, and books from other family members.  That evening, we went to Kathryn's house for dinner and more gifts.  We had a wonderful feast!
I made calendars for both my parents and Ray's parents and they loved them.  They had pictures of James from each month last year.  Neither of them want to write on the calendars, but I insist that they use them!  I promise that I can give y'all prints if you want them :)

The day after Christmas, Ray headed back to work, but I went to my grandmother Blakewood's house for more Christmas celebrating.  James liked seeing his great grandmother and all the other family.  He got more cool toys here!
He espeically enjoyed Graham's beard-
I can't wait for Little Langdon to arrive!

The first weekend after Christmas, we celebrated the Blakewood/Bumgarner Christmas.  We had such a great time that I forgot to take any pictures.  Thankfully, I am using a few from some that others took.  James had a great time playing with Kate. 
But there were moments when he got a little too excited and tried to poke her eyes out.  Be careful kids, James does not understand the meaning of the word "gentle." 

Spending some quality time with his Mimi


And to show how James is enjoying his new toys, books, and clothes so much, I wanted to share this...
That's right... he's not playing with his new toys, reading his new books, or wearing his new clothes at all.  He's chewing on his shoe!  It doesn't take much to entertain a one year old :)  We hope your Christmas was meaningful and merry and that your new year got off to a great, albeit frigid, start!






Comments

Popular Posts