Lisa's Coleslaw

As a child, I always said cold slaw rather than coleslaw.  I thought that slaw was the food and that you said "cold" slaw because it was always served cold.  I didn't like this dish as a child because it looked strange, smelled funny, and who wants to eat something called slaw?  Slaw made me think of of something pigs eat - O wait... that's slop.  Salw, slop, who can really tell the difference? I know I couldn't as a kid.

Since those childhood days of "cold slaw," my tastes have matured and now I LOVE coleslaw.  In fact, I don't think that a hot dog is a hot dog or a BBQ sandwich is a BBQ sandwich without it.  A cookout is certainty lacking without the stuff.  We're going to a cookout tonight, so I decided I would take matters into my own hands to ensure the precious coleslaw made an appearance at this cookout.

Here was my problem though... as much as I love coleslaw, I didn't know how to make it.  Thankfully, Lisa graciously came over to my house and showed me how she does it.  Lisa is just like her mom, Kathryn.  She is a great cook which means that she does NOT measure.  I measured everything though so I can duplicate it   for the future.

Here's what you need:
2 pounds of cabbage or coleslaw mixture (I like the mixture because it has more variety and it's pretty)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup mayonnaise (my family prefers Duke's)
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste

1. Mix the vinegar, sugar, salt, and 1/2 cup of mayonnaise in a bowl.
2. Pour the mixture in the bowl over the cabbage / cabbage mixture and stir in.  We decided that we wanted the coleslaw to be more mayonnaisey (not a word, but I don't care), so we added another 1/4 cup of mayonnaise.  Also put in the pepper (just a dash or so) to taste.
3. Finish mixing, taste it, and then put it in a pretty bowl.
Thanks, Lisa!  Now we're ready to go to the cookout!

Comments

Popular Posts