Two Weeks With Two

I can't believe it, but it's been over two weeks since little Luke came into our lives and changed our family for the better.  Before he was born, I didn't feel as connected with him as I did with James... Probably because I was busy with James all the time.  But now that Luke's here, the love is unmeasurable.  I love him so very much - just like I love James.  Love truly multiplies with a second child.  As I type, I'm smelling his head because he's sleeping on my chest and it's intoxicating.  Just to smell him and touch his soft hair makes me melt.  

As much as I'd love to sit on the couch all day or relax in bed with Luke, James keeps us on the go.  We got home from the hospital in the evening on October 1st, just a day after Luke was born.  That next morning, we were all packed in our new (to us) minivan.  Ray's parents got a new minivan, so we got their old one.  We love it.  So much space for us and the boys!  We went to the park for James to play and Luke slept.
Then we went out to eat lunch and Luke slept even more.  I love these newborn days when putting him in the car seat is enough to make him sleepy and then riding around in the van knocks him out completely. 
Ray stayed home with me for the first week after Luke's birth and I was so very thankful to have him home.  We went to the science center a few times as a family because it's a great place for James to get out and play.
James loves his daddy-
Our first photo as a family of four.  I love these guys!
Both of them were out cold-
The closer he is to you, the happier he is.  I love this cuddly kid. 
James is enjoying Luke's toys-
James after his bath one night-
Luke enjoyed his first bath.  We finally bathed him at 14 days old. 
We've taken several walks.  Luke isn't fully convinced that he likes being worn yet.  I'm working on it.  But once he's sleeping while I'm wearing him, he sleeps very well.
Sleeping in the Boba-
And at two weeks old, I finally realized that I still didn't have a picture of the two boys together yet!  So I put them on the couch after nap time and tried to get a quick picture.  Luke was cooperating - looking at James.  And then all James wanted to do was show Luke how he picks his nose.  Great job being a big brother role model, James... Whew... I'm going to have my hands full! 
People ask me how it is with two and how James is adjusting.  Overall, I think it's going very well.  The first week was hard.  It was very hard.  When we came home from the hospital, James was sick.  He was pitiful.  He was so very clingy - mostly due to sickness, but also because he had a new brother, I'm sure.  If Ray were not home with me, I don't think I could have done it.  I cried the night before Ray went back to work.  I wasn't sure I'd survive!  But thankfully, James was starting to get better.  The first day Ray was back at work, Lisa came to help me out.  Then, the next day, Natalie helped me.  By the next day, James was better and we had a successful day on our own.

The hard times are when I'm trying to get all of us ready at the same time.  It's difficult to make sure we are all dressed, everything is packed in the diaper bag, and both boys have clean diapers.  I try to do all of that with as few tears as possible, but sometimes Luke cries for a little bit.  When he or James cry, I get super stressed out.  But I just have to plan as much as I can in advance and remember that I'm doing the best I can.  

I am thankful for nap time each day.  James naps from 1/1:30-3:30/4:00 each day.  Right after I put James down for his nap, Luke and I retreat to my room for a nap too.  I set the house alarm, turn my phone off, and all three of us try to get as much sweet sleep as possible.  So far this is working well.  I hope both of these boys are great nappers forever because mama loves her naps too :) 

Another thing that has made this transition easier is our amazing family and church family.  We have only had to cook a few times because between church friends and our family bringing us meals, our fridge has been full!  And meals are coming for another month or so - I am SO very thankful.  I have been keeping up with laundry and dishes, but I can't even wrap my mind around cooking each night right now.  

The past two weeks have been emotional.  So many good things - a new sweet baby and love.  Some tough things - James being sick and getting used to a brother and of course little sleep.  But it's all been great overall and I'm excited to see how our family continues to change with a fourth little member.  

Comments

Popular Posts