Two Weeks To Go And My ECV

Two days ago, I posted about my feelings leading up to this point.  It is a lot to think about when you consider your baby being breech - these were the options presented to me:
- Wait to see if baby will turn and realize that if baby doesn't turn, you will end up with a c-section
- Schedule a c-section
- Attempt an external cephalic version (ECV)
- Attempting a breech birth was not an option because most care providers are not ready to handle one and I'm not the best candidate anyway with my history of large babies. 

After looking at the research (I highly recommend this article for anyone considering an ECV), talking with my care providers who I trust, and praying about it, Ray and I both felt very much at peace with attempting the ECV and overall we both felt very positive about it working.  My main OB, Dr. Stringer, said that it would probably be about 70% effective on me which is higher than the norm because I'm not a first time mom and baby is an average size with a nice amount of amniotic fluid surrounding her.  Over the weekend, I already posted about how we tried all the home remedies for turning a breech baby (read about that at the bottom of this post) and I am so thankful that we did them!  I think that the breech tilt (laying on an ironing board with your pelvis above your head) was especially effective.  I did this four times the day before the ECV and throughout the day, I felt her move from more of a true vertical breech presentation to more of a transverse (sideways) presentation.  I think this very much helped set us up for success on the day of the ECV.

So... On Tuesday morning, we arrived at the hospital just before 8:00 in the morning.  The hospital is very quiet at that hour and we met our doula, Sarah Carter, at maternity admissions and it was great to see her.  I was checked in quickly and taken to a labor and delivery room.  They want you in a labor and delivery room because it is close to the operating room in case you need an emergency c-section in the middle of the ECV (this is very rare, but should be considered).  We met our nurse, Melissa, and she was awesome.  She had tons of experience, seen lots of ECVs, and very much help put us at ease.
Melissa set me up getting monitored.  We wanted to establish a baseline of Anna's heart rate before doing the ECV.  She looked great on the monitor and I wasn't having contractions.  The ECV was scheduled for 8:45, but my midwife and OB were with another mom laboring at the time.  So we waited longer.  And then we found out that the mom they were with ended up needing an emergency c-section, so we waited a little longer.  I couldn't help but feel for the mom who was having a c-section after a long labor... But I'm so thankful that we are in a place and time where we can easily have that surgery if it is needed.  During this time of waiting and waiting and waiting, Sarah was awesome. We talked some about what we hope Anna's birth looks like, about how she might help me relax during the procedure, and our crazy kids.  Having her there helped me not become as anxious.

Melissa came in with an ultrasound and checked Anna's position and her head was basically under my right ribs, her back wrapped around my left side, and her feet in my pelvis.  She was breech, but her head was pointing in the position of turning towards my pelvis if we could just get her feet out of there and get her moving.  She was in a good position to move.

Once Melissa knew my doctor and midwife were almost ready for me, Melissa gave me a shot of terbutaline.  This drug helps relax the muscles in the uterus and makes sure that you don't have contractions.  Contractions would make it much more difficult for the baby to turn.  The side effect of this drug is that it can make mom's heart rate go up and make you feel like you drank way too much coffee.  I was concerned about this, but I just made a very conscious effort to take deep breaths and remain calm and focused after she gave me this shot.  I did feel my heart rate increase some, but it didn't overwhelm me like I thought it might.  

After my doctor, Dr. Kulwa, and my midwife, Venus, finished the c-section, they came to my room.  They took another look at Anna with the ultrasound to verify her position.  I had never met Dr. Kulwa before, but she was very warm, affirming, and calming.  She walked me through what we would do in the procedure and talked about all the risks.  None of this was new information to me because I had already thoroughly researched it, but it was nice to hear her explain everything.  

Right after explaining everything, she put a lot of the jelly they use for ultrasounds on my belly and she got started.  She put one hand around Anna's butt and one hand around Anna's head.  She used a lot of pressure and slowly started turning her towards my pelvis.  Ray and Sarah were right beside me helping to remind me to take deep breaths.  The procedure is more effective the more relaxed you are.  Sarah encouraged me to close my eyes. I closed my eyes, laid back, and took lots of deep breaths.  I could tell that Anna was turning because of where Dr. Kulwa's hands were on my belly.  I knew it was working and that helped me relax even more.  It was uncomfortable, but it was very tolerable.  Before I knew it, her hands were off of me and they checked with the ultrasound and her little head was at my pelvis!  Everyone in the room was a little shocked at how easy the whole procedure went.  

They checked on her by putting the monitors back on me immediately and they monitored Anna for about 45 minutes after the procedure.  She looked great - never showing any sign of distress.  The entire procedure couldn't have gone better.  I was so thankful! 
Sarah is on the left and Melissa is in the middle - they were awesome! 
After the ECV, Ray and I went and ate at Taste of Thai - they have this delicious buffet on weekdays and it was perfect since I had been fasting since midnight the night before in case we needed to do an emergency c-section.  

Today, I already had an ultrasound scheduled in the office to check on Anna's size and for my regular 38 week checkup.  At 38 weeks and 1 day, she was measuring 7 pounds and 9 ounces according to the ultrasound.  Of course the ultrasound can easily be off by 1 pound in either direction.  But this is putting her at a target weight of 7 pounds 6 ounces - 9 pounds 6 ounces on her due date... I can handle that!  She's in the 66th percentile.  And she was looking great otherwise.  Most importantly, she was still head down!  Now we just hope she keeps behaving until she's born!  Look at her cheeks - She is going to have some awesome chipmunk cheeks just like James did.  I can't wait to meet this sweet girl!
Since everything is looking great, I am realizing suddenly that I'm 13 days from my due date.  So just tonight I got all my water birth supplies together and I turned in my birth plan to the nurse today so that it's in the system and ready to go whenever labor begins.  So when do I think she's coming?  Who really knows?  But her due date is June 14.  I think she will arrive between June 10-June 16.  I'd take earlier of course, but I sure hope she doesn't make me wait too late.  Through this whole process, I've just realized once again that God is in control and that I just need to trust in His plan.  He has been overwhelmingly gracious to us... I pray that she stays in position and that she arrives without complications and healthy.  Thanks to all our friends and family who have walked with us and prayed for us! 

Comments

Popular Posts