It's Fun to be ONE

At the last minute, I decided to do a first birthday party for Luke.  I procrastinated for a long time because party planning tends to overwhelm me. But I finally decided that I wanted to celebrate Luke's first year because it's a big milestone!  I invited a few of Luke's friends (babies/toddlers close to his age) and we had a great time having everyone over to our house.  It was supposed to be 72 and sunny today (that's what the forecast said when I planned his party), but there's a hurricane nearby and it has been raining for a week straight.  But just before the party began, it stopped raining and the older siblings of Luke's friends were happy to get outside to play.  The daddies supervised the older kids outside and the mamas watched the babies inside.  Luke wanted to be outside - he kept looking out the window at James and the other big kids playing - but I kept him inside since the ground was soaked.  He didn't mind hanging out with the ladies.

I kept the decorations very simple.  I went with a multi-color scheme and my only theme was "it's fun to be one!"
Luke has some sweet lady friends!
Having other mamas to do this journey with me is priceless!
The balloons were a hit with the younger kids and especially with the older ones- 
Luke enjoyed playing with and smashing his smash cake, but he didn't want to eat any of it.  I make these super healthy whole wheat pumpkin muffins and he loves them.  I thought about making a smash cake out of that, but then I really wanted him to go crazy over the smash cake, so I made it from a box cake mix that's full of bad-for-you stuff - I was sure he'd love it.  Wrong!  He didn't want to touch it.  I should have gone with the pumpkin recipe.  At least he's healthy?!
James and his friends enjoyed the cupcakes with sprinkles!
I can't believe how we've grown!
After our friends left, we had family come over for dinner.  My parents brought pizza and a salad and we had a great time.  My cousin, Kelly, has 4 kids and it was so much fun to watch our kids run around and play together.  It was a sweet time with family.
 This boy melts my heart!
 Well, both of the boys melt my heart... Especially when James wants to climb up in my lap and pose for a picture with me!
We had a wonderful time celebrating you, Baby Luke!

Comments

Popular Posts