Our First Garden

This evening after Luke went to bed, we planted our spring garden!  Ray and I both have dads who always had large gardens.  As kids, we both helped our dads plant, weed, and harvest.  Ray said he complained bitterly about planting a half acre of corn and I know my dad used weeding the garden as a regular chore and punishment for me.  But the irony of it all is that now Ray and I love the idea of having a garden of our own and forcing our boys to do the same thing our dads did to us!  It just comes full circle.  James thought that planting the garden was fun today.  Probably because we just have a small garden and it only took a few minutes to plant.  James helped pull the hose all the way from the house to the garden in the back yard. 
Then he helped plant peas.  He really enjoyed planting and counting the peas.  This is how he counts: "One, two, three, six, seven, eight" and then starts all over again at one.  I love that kid!
He helped Ray cover the seeds and was gentle with the dirt.  He listened well. 


We planted peas, carrots, lettuce, and onions and then James helped water everything. 
Yay for the start of our first garden!  Let's hope it goes well!  Both Ray and I were calling and talking to our dads this weekend as we were planning.  I first started looking online for how to plant and what to plant... but then I realized that the best resources we have are our parents!  So thankful for dads who showed us how to appreciate good food.  Hopefully James will enjoy our small garden this year! 

Comments

Popular Posts