James's Winter ONEderland

James does not turn one year old until Tuesday, but we celebrated his birthday with family and friends in a Winter ONEderland on Saturday, December 7th.  It was so much fun!  They say that the first birthday party is all about the parents, and that's probably true, but I think James had a good time and I know that Ray and I had a great time.  It has been so wonderful to be surrounded by family and friends during this first year.  I don't know how we'd do it without them.  Family watches James on occasion so that Ray and I can have a date night and they are always there for us in so many ways.  Friends with kids around James's age are invaluable.  We are not on this parenting journey alone and I'm so thankful.  When everyone sang "Happy Birthday" to James, I almost cried.  He's changed so much over the past year and it's amazing.  

Ray helped me clean and decorate for the party.  The only reason I can host people at my house is because Ray is my behind the scenes support system.  And Lisa made several things for the party - such a huge huge help!  Ray's parents made the traditional family Bower Christmas punch.  It took several people to pull it all together, but I wouldn't trade it for anything - it was one of my favorite days this year.

Here was the invitation I made for the party (our address and phone number are blocked out because I don't want that out there for the whole world)-
Some one year facts about my boy - 
 My friend, Dana Kroh, made the smash cake for James.
 Ray thought of this fun idea on our mirror in the dining room.  I was just going to put some snowflakes on it, but he made it a big Winter ONEderland scene.
 A newborn picture of James and a picture of him from each month this year-
 Lisa made this precious cheese ball!
And Lisa also made this festive water - she froze the lime pieces and cranberries in muffin pans prior to the party.  It looked beautiful and tasted good too-
 And the Bower Christmas punch-
 I made the cupcakes and Ray iced them-
Playing with some good friends and family-
Trying to get all the mamas and the babies in one picture-
 And this was the best picture we got of all the kiddos.  Left to right: Aiden, Jag, Joseph, Maisley, Cash, Davis, James, Ellie, Emmarie.  Not pictured: Ethan (busy nursing) and Parker (where was Parker?)
And then we had the smash cake.  We all sang to James and then I put the smash cake in front of him.  He cautiously touched the icing, put a little in his mouth, and then decided it wasn't for him.  I tried to get him to taste it, but he just was not interested.  He sure did like everyone singing to him.  This child is a ham - he loves being the center of attention.  There's not a shy bone in his body.  Wonder where he gets that trait?
Thanks so much to everyone who came and made the day truly special and ONEderful :) 
Oh James - Your daddy and I love you so much and you have made this year, your first year of life, the best year of our lives-

Comments

Popular Posts