Last Pregnancy Update! 38 Weeks!

Whew... 38 weeks!!!!  Yesssss... So glad to be here.  This pregnancy has been a lot of work and I'm thrilled to be close to the end.  I still feel like it's going to last forever, but Ray, my doula, and my midwife keep telling me that I'm actually very close... so I'm going to try to stop counting down the hours and instead just trust them that I'm close. 

Today was a big day.  I had my last biophysical profile and growth ultrasound for the pregnancy.  At 30 weeks, he was measuring 50th percentile.  At 34 weeks, he was measuring 70th percentile.  I was scared at 34 weeks that this trend would continue and he'd end up being in the 90th + percentile by the time I hit 38 weeks.  Instead, he was measuring 73rd percentile overall - that puts him at 7 pounds 7 ounces.  He has short little legs, a big head, and an average abdomen - much like his biggest brother, James!  I'm thrilled that his abdomen is measuring in the 70th percentile because that is what can tend to get large with babies whose moms have gestational diabetes... and that's when their shoulders can get stuck like Luke's did.  In my gut, I felt like he was still measuring 70th percentile rather than 90th because he just didn't seem as large as Luke, he still has room to move all over the place, and my glucose numbers have been in much better control over the last few weeks.  He was also vertex at the ultrasound!  So that's great news too.  I'm not sure he will stay that way, but at least he knows where he *should* put his head.

So here are some pictures of my crazy family with the belly bump.  We've taught them to kiss the bottom of my belly and talk to the baby there so that baby will be encouraged to put his head down so he can hear them better.  Who knows if it works at all, but all my kids know that babies should be head down! 

And then of course I have to share this (crazy blurry) picture of my last bump picture with Luke.  I was wearing the same shirt I was wearing today.  Both pictures were taken when I was about 38 weeks.  So while I do feel very big this pregnancy, I think it's safe to say that this boy is not going to be another 11 pound 8 ounce baby!

Comments

Popular Posts