Two Months To Go With #4

Here we are... just two months away from Baby Bower 4's due date!  Whew this pregnancy has gone by fast.  Between working, taking care of three kids, buying and selling a house, buying a new van, getting the new house settled... it's just been BUSY.  But now it's time to slow down and talk about what is so dear to my heart... birth!

My babies never seem to make it easy on me.  James was actually my easiest pregnancy and delivery which is rare since he was my first baby.  Luke was difficult since he was 11 pounds 8 ounces and we experienced shoulder dystocia.  Anna was complicated because she decided she wanted to be transverse or breech the majority of the pregnancy which eventually culminated in turning her (ECV) twice and an induction.

So... How's this baby treating me?  He's keeping me on my toes to say the least.  We found out at 18 weeks that I had marginal placenta previa.  Thankfully, that has totally resolved as discovered in our 29 week ultrasound!  We quickly discovered when I started checking my own blood sugar at 24 weeks that I absolutely have gestational diabetes this time.  With Anna, we knew I was somewhat insulin resistant, but I was able to control it with diet and exercise.  With Luke, we believe that GD went undiagnosed which caused him to be gigantic and caused his blood sugar to crash at birth.  With this baby, we know that it's pretty bad GD since my diet and exercise won't touch my fasting numbers in the morning (they range from 95-115 and they should ideally be below 90).  My after meal numbers are perfect, so we know that my strict diet and exercise are working.  But the fasting number not going down is maddening.  No matter what I do, it doesn't want to budge.  Basically, it's hormone driven and I don't have much ability beyond what I'm already doing to change anything.  I tried Metformin and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.  I spoke to a nutritionist and the best advice she could offer was to change from eating regular almonds to sprouted almonds and to eat meals slower (but who has time for that with 3 kids?!).  So as of Monday, when I turned 31 weeks, we decided to start a low dose of insulin at night.  It's not bad at all taking it (I make Ray give me the shot!).  But we started at a very low dose.  So far, I haven't seen my fasting number decrease, but my awesome midwife assures me that we will get the dose right and my numbers will go down. 

As for this baby's position, his head is nowhere near my cervix.  I don't really expect it at this point.  James got into position at 34 weeks, Luke at 32 weeks, and Anna never did until we forced her.  His favorite position is with his head in my right ribs and his bottom near my left hip.  He can move pretty freely though... If his head gets uncomfortable, I can turn him and put his head near my right hip. 

So... What am I feeling at this point?  My prayer is that he will be an average size (Ideally 8 pounds, but I'd be ok with 9 pounds) and that he would get into a good position by 36 weeks or so.  As a doula, I so often see amazing births that need no intervention at all. I would love that.  I originally intended to birth at a birth center this time around, but I can no longer do that due to being medicated for GD.  So at this point, I just want a vaginal birth.  I'm open to being induced like I was with Anna to make sure that baby is head down when labor begins.  I'm trying to be open about everything knowing that God knows when, where, and how this baby will be born.  I'm trying daily to just trust Him as I try my best to take care of the baby and myself.

And he still doesn't have a name!  It's hard to name a third boy!  We have a couple of ideas, but Ray and I can't agree.  I have a feeling he may not be named until we are in the hospital.  And we are SO unprepared for him... No cute room, no diapers, no car seat.  He's clearly a fourth.  But he will be SO loved by his mama, dada, and siblings once he arrives!

Here's a bump pic exactly 2 months out at the end of a long day...

Comments

  1. I think Larry is a good name. Maybe even Lawrence if Larry is not your style.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts