Family Camping Trip!

So I love the IDEA of camping... I always have.  I love the idea of being in nature, away from technology, and just relaxing.  But the REALITIES of camping have kept me out of the woods for quite some time.  What realities, you ask?  Oh... bears, serial killers, wildfires, snakes, bugs, and, most importantly, not being able to shave my legs at night.  And since we've had kids, I can't imagine all of us sleeping in one tent because my I could see my biggest nightmare unfolding before my eyes - my kids wanting to stay up all night to party!  But in spite of my fears, somehow, my great friend, Marsha, invited me to go camping with them.  Our kids are about the same age and somehow I said I'd go.  And then I thought about it and wondered why I ever said yes.  But then I kept my commitment because I didn't want to cancel and hurt her feelings.  Well, I'm so glad we went!  My kids slept amazing, I saw lots of spiders but it was no biggie, we saw a snake (but it was from a distance), and there were no encounters with bears or serial killers.  I couldn't have asked for a better camping experience!
We arrived to New River State Park right at sunset.  Luke had a rough car ride.  He cried about half the time.  I felt bad, but I couldn't do anything for him.  When he sucked on his fingers, he was happy though. 
We set up camp in the dark.  James loves helping.  He helped Ray get the stakes in.  
The Jordans showed up right after we did.  We finally all set up camp and I nursed Luke and put him in his pack n play in the tent.  Mysteriously, he fell asleep right away and slept through us talking around the camp fire.  I used the iPad as a sound machine (I downloaded an app that sounded like rain and a river)... It played all night and helped the kids sleep since they are used to sound machines.  James and Luke sat in their chairs a little, but mostly wandered around the campsite.  Marsha brought glow-sticks and they were a hit.
When it was time for me and Ray and James to go to bed, I was convinced the nightmare would begin.  I just knew that when we went in the tent, we'd wake up Luke and then none of us would be able to go back to sleep.  I had so much anxiety about this and I told everyone I knew to pray for us and this trip because I was so worried!  But we told James that he had to be quiet and that he had to go in the tent and lay down beside us.  He hasn't slept with me since he was 6 months old.  But he listened to us and barely made a sound and laid perfectly still.  It was awesome.  Luke shuffled a little, but didn't wake up.  James and Ray were out within minutes.  Of course it took me forever to go to sleep.  But I did eventually.  Luke woke up at 2:00 because he heard Kaylen crying in the tent next to us and he wanted to nurse but then he went right back to sleep.  He never woke James up.  I was so thankful when the sun came up the next day and we were all still sleeping.  We made it through the night and it was so good!
Out big tent... we had a two man tent before kids... now we have a 10 man tent and it's awesome!

Luke wanted to explore first thing in the morning, but we had to hold him and keep him contained because the ground was wet with dew. 
The river was close to our campsite and it was just beautiful.
One of the things we loved about the park was that our campsite was about .25 mile from our cars.  They had wheelbarrows to carry our stuff from the cars to our site.  The boys loved taking rides in them. 
Once the dew finally went away, Luke loved exploring and playing...
Marsha brought these trucks and James loved them.
Luke took a morning nap in his pack n play, but he must have still been sleepy because he napped again for over an hour when we went on a hike.
James enjoyed hanging out with Ray while hiking.  All 4 adults were wearing one child...
Kaelyn was knocked out on Marsha's back and Luke had just woken up.  It was a nice hike. 

When we got back, we were all hungry and ready to eat lunch.
After lunch, we all attempted to take a nap together, but because Luke napped while we hiked, he wasn't sleepy and James couldn't settle with the bright sunlight coming in the tent.  Ray and I were so tired and we wanted to nap, so for a few minutes I thought about pulling out the iPad to let him watch a movie while we laid there.  But then I changed my mind.  I knew we didn't go camping to watch a movie!  We went camping for sweet family time and to enjoy nature.  So I decided to go down to the river instead.  James and I played in it.  He loved picking up rocks and throwing them and making mud pies.  It was so nice to feel the cold water on my feet and just take it all in. 
Luke fell asleep on Ray while we were in the river.  He was tired.  On the way back to the camp site, James rode on Ray's back naked.  His swim suit was soaked and he didn't want to wear his swim shoes because they were soaked.  I think he liked being naked. 
When we got back, Brian was making dinner.  Brian and Marsha took excellent care of us!  They provided all the food and organized the entire trip.  We ate exceptionally well.  I'll camp with them again anytime. 
Luke wanted to go to the fire, so we had to keep him away by any means necessary.  Kaelyn was happy to sit on the blanket and not go to far.
James and Jaxon were crawling like Luke.
Buddies!
Gotta wrestle a little with Dada...
Smores! 
We left on Saturday night after dinner because we wanted to sleep in our beds on Saturday night.  James was exhausted.  He fell asleep at 6:30 after being in the van for a few minutes.  And he slept all the way home.  Luke slept most of  the way home too.  Once we got home, we threw them in the bath and then in the bed.  We didn't hear a peep.  They were exhausted!  They slept in an extra hour the next morning and that pretty much never happens.  They had so much fun.  James had dirt and smores residue on his face on his way home... the marks on an excellent camping trip. 
I'll do it again!  Once I wash everything in my mud room and catch up on my sleep ;)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts