Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

So I know that summer is just around the corner, but it just rained for 10 days straight at the beginning of May - that does not feel like summer to me.  So while it was wet and chilly, I decided to make some soup.  In college, some of my friends would make a crock pot chicken tortilla soup and it tasted so good compared to food in the cafeteria.  Then, after college, I asked for the recipe.  I made it and it just didn't taste the same - I think it was because the recipe called for canned chicken.  No offense to the girls who made it - I mean it's hard to have boneless and skinless chicken breasts stored in your tiny fridge in a dorm room - but I am not into canned meat. 

So - I decided to make my own chicken tortilla soup recipe and I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out.  And it's SO easy - you throw the following ingredients in the crock pot:

4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts (uncooked)
2 (15oz) cans black beans, rinsed
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken stock
1 (15oz) can chicken broth
1 can (4oz) chopped green chillies
1 large onion
2 red bell peppers, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Then stir everything up and then cook everything for 3 1/2 hours on high.  After the 3 1/2 hours, pull the chicken breasts out and shred them.  At this time, I also put a little more salt and pepper on the chicken breasts to season them.  Then throw the chicken back in the crock pot and cook it all for an additional 30 minutes.
Serve with avocado (I LOVE AVOCADO) and crunched up tortilla chips.  You can also top with cheese or sour cream.  We love this recipe and while I'm very against making soup in the summer, I think that I will make it this summer since it's super easy and so tasty.
Enjoy! 

Comments

Popular Posts